Minister Instructions and Application Instructions for Wedding Ceremony Certificate
NOTE: A non-refundable fee of $30 must accompany every application. Make check payable to the Douglas County Clerk
The following documents are required to apply for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada:
If you are a minister or religious official:
- Notarized application for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada; and
- Notarized affidavit of Authority to Solemnize Marriages. The affidavit must be signed by someone in your church or religious organization that has authority to speak on behalf of your church or religious organization and can verify that you are in good standing within that church or religious organization. This form cannot be signed by the applicant.
If you are a notary public in the State of Nevada:
1. Notarized application for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada (Notaries cannot notarize their own application); and
2. Verification from the Nevada Secretary of State regarding the status of notary public appointment. Verification must be issued from the NV Secretary of State within the three months immediately preceding the date of the officiant’s application and must state that the notary public is currently in good standing.
Single Ceremony Minister Applicants:
If you plan to perform a wedding ceremony in Douglas County, click on the single ceremony wedding officiant application below to apply for a certificate to perform a single marriage ceremony. No background check is required but applicants must not have been convicted of a felony in the last 10 years.
Per NRS 122.062, when a person is authorized by the County Clerk to perform marriage ceremonies on a single ceremony basis they may perform not more than five (5) marriages in Nevada in any calendar year. A minister or notary public must apply to the County Clerk, in the county in which the marriage is to be performed, for authorization for each marriage ceremony performed. Violation of this law may result in criminal prosecution.
Permanent (5-year) or On-going Minister Applicants:
If you are a resident of Douglas County and plan to perform 6 or more marriages, click on the permanent (5-year) wedding officiant application below to apply for a certificate to perform marriage ceremonies on a permanent (5-year) basis. Applicants applying for permanent (5-year) status must also agree to an investigation and must not have been convicted of a felony, released from confinement or completed his or her parole or probation, within 10 years before the date of application. The cost of the investigation must be charged to the applicant.
Step 1: Complete the Permanent (5-year) Wedding Officiant Application below and send it to the Clerk’s office with payment, at least 3 weeks prior to the ceremony.
Step 2: Click the link below and complete the application for a background investigation.
- ScreeningONE Background Check-Required for all Permanent (5-year) Applicants
- $49.00 fee paid directly to ScreeningONE via link above.
- ScreeningONE submits background check directly to Clerk Management Staff for review prior to authorization.
The completed and notarized forms must be submitted to the Douglas County Clerk’s Office at least three weeks prior to the ceremony.
Please submit forms via USPS mail to: Douglas County Clerk| PO Box 218 | Minden NV 89423
Please submit forms via courier (Fed Ex) to: Douglas County Clerk| 1616 8th St.|Minden, NV 89423
If approved, the certificate will be mailed to the mailing address listed on the application. An instruction sheet, which provides information on how the officiant is to complete the marriage certificates, will be sent with the Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages. If the application is not approved, you will receive a letter explaining why it was not granted. Paperwork that is incomplete or incorrect will delay the process and may result in the certificate being denied. Don’t forget to include your $30 check or money order!
For More Information Contact:
Douglas County Clerk’s Office
Physical Address: 1616 8th Street, 2nd Floor
Mailing Address: PO Box 218
Minden, NV 89423
Tel: (775) 782-9014
FAX: (775) 782-9016