Minister Instructions and Application Instructions for Wedding Ceremony Certificate
NOTE: A non-refundable fee of $25 must accompany every application. Make check payable to the Douglas County Clerk
The following documents are required to apply for a Certificate of Authority to
Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada:
If you are a minister or religious official:
- Notarized application for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada; and
- Notarized affidavit of Authority to Solemnize Marriages. The affidavit must be signed by someone in your church or religious organization that has authority to speak on behalf of your church or religious organization and can verify that you are in good standing within that church or religious organization. This form cannot be signed by the applicant.
If you are a notary public in the State of Nevada:
1. Notarized application for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada (Notaries cannot notarize their own application); and
2. Verification from the Nevada Secretary of State regarding the status of notary public appointment. Verification must be issued from the NV Secretary of State within the three months immediately preceding the date of the officiant’s application and must state that the notary public is currently in good standing.
If you are a resident of Douglas County, click on the permanent forms below to apply for a certificate to perform marriage ceremonies on a permanent basis. If you are not a resident of Nevada, or you are a Douglas County resident and only plan to perform five or less wedding ceremonies per calendar year in Nevada, click on the temporary forms below to apply for a certificate to perform a single marriage ceremony.
Per NRS 122.062, when a person is authorized by the County Clerk to perform marriage ceremonies on a temporary basis they may perform not more than five (5) marriages in Nevada in any calendar year. A minister or notary public must apply to the County Clerk for authorization for each marriage ceremony performed. Violation of this law may result in criminal prosecution.
The completed and notarized forms must be submitted to the Douglas County Clerk’s Office, PO Box 218, Minden, NV 89423 at least three weeks prior to the wedding ceremony. If approved, the certificate will be mailed to the mailing address listed on the application. An instruction sheet, which provides information on how the officiant is to complete the marriage certificates, will be sent with the Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages. If the application is not approved, you will receive a letter explaining why it was not granted. Paperwork that is incomplete or incorrect will delay the process and may result in the certificate being denied. Don’t forget to include your $25 check or money order!
Please allow sufficient time for processing if you plan to perform a wedding in the near future.
- Permanent Wedding Officiant Application PDF)
- Temporary Wedding Officiant Application (PDF)
- Affidavit of Authority form — ministers only (PDF)
For More Information Contact:
Douglas County Clerk’s Office
Physical Address: 1616 8th Street, 2nd Floor
Mailing Address: PO Box 218
Minden, NV 89423
Tel: (775) 782-9020
FAX: (775) 782-9016